Turkey’s for life, not just for Christmas, right? As a lean and relatively cheap meat, turkey makes this recipe a hearty, budget-friendly and mouth-wateringly good choice for dinner.
This is a pretty filling student meal for one if served on its own, or you can add loads of veggies and salad to make it a wholesome, balanced and low-cost meal for two.
Chicken might be the go-to meat for many, but turkey is slightly healthier than chicken, tastes pretty similar and conveniently tends to be a bit cheaper in supermarkets, too. Winner winner, turkey dinner.
That said, if you’re not a fan of turkey, or you just can’t get your hands on any turkey breasts, chicken breasts will work just as well in this recipe. In fact, we actually used chicken when we tried this recipe, and we can confirm that it was still delicious (if not slightly more expensive).
Easy stuffed turkey wrapped in bacon recipe
Serves: 2 | Costs: around £6 (excluding wine)
- If you’re using white wine, leave the turkey breast fillets to marinade in a splash of it for about 10 mins
- Preheat your oven to 190C
- Using a sharp knife, slice the turkey breasts through the centre (though not the whole way through)
- Place your sliced mozzarella inside the turkey breast and cover the outside of the breast with pesto. Season with salt and pepper
- Take two rashers of bacon for each stuffed breast and wrap around the closed fillets
- Place the fillets in an oven tray or dish, on a baking sheet
- Place in the oven and cook for 25-30mins.
As mentioned, you can either have both turkey breasts to yourself if you’re feeling particularly peckish, or serve with vegetables and potatoes to make this recipe perfect for two.
It’s ideal for pretty much any occasion, whether you’re looking to cheer yourself up from homesickness, impress your university friends, or just treat yourself to a tasty and filling meal.
It’s a pretty simple dish when you follow our recipe, so you can’t really go wrong. Enjoy!
We know of one savvy student who recreates takeaways for just £2 – we chatted to him to find out how.