Save Money

How to get cheap healthcare and dentistry

Things like prescriptions, dental treatment and eye tests can take a big chunk out of your budget at uni – here’s how you can keep healthcare costs low…

We all know that UK citizens are entitled to free healthcare in the UK through the National Health Service (NHS). But many things, including prescriptions, dental treatment and eye tests come at a cost, something which can be a bit of shock when you first arrive at university.

There are also key differences between healthcare costs in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland that you might not be aware of.

But there are ways you can get these extra healthcare costs reduced – or even free – if you know how the NHS works and what help is available. Our complete guide has everything you need to know!

How to register with a GP at university

Your first port of call when it comes to healthcare at university should be registering with a GP.

For some health services (a trip to A&E, for example) it doesn’t matter if you’re not registered nearby. But for general check ups, regular prescriptions and access to medication, you’ll find it much easier if you’re registered somewhere at university.

Most universities will have a GP attached to or affiliated with them, and this is normally the best option to go for as they’ll be experienced in dealing with student health. However, you can register with any local GP.

Make sure you register as soon as you arrive at university – the last thing you want is to be filling in forms when you’ve come down with a bout of freshers’ flu.

Some GPs may ask for some ID or your NHS number in order to register, and the name of your previous GP, although you can’t be refused registration if you don’t have access to these. International students may be asked to provide proof of their student status.

The important thing to remember is that since GP services are provided by the NHS, they’ll be free! You might have to pay for prescriptions though.

What if you’re ill during university holidays?

If you go home for Christmas, Easter or Summer and you become ill, you’ll still be able to head to your nearest GP practice at home for emergency treatment. You can receive emergency treatment for up to 14 days, and after that you’ll have to register as a temporary resident (or permanent patient) with that GP.

You’ll also have access to NHS walk-in centres and minor injuries units, which can provide treatment for minor injuries or illnesses, and A&E for serious or immediately life-threatening conditions.

Do students pay for prescriptions?

A trip to your local GP might be free, but most prescriptions unfortunately aren’t – even if you’re a student.

That is, unless you’re registered at a GP in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, where prescriptions are completely free (this includes students who are from England, but are studying in and registered at a GP in these countries)!

However, even in England, some medicines are free. These include:

There are some eligibility criteria which could mean that you’re entitled to free prescriptions in England. These include if you’re:

Check the NHS website for more detailed information on eligibility criteria for free prescriptions in England.

If none of the above apply to you, applying for the NHS Low Income Scheme could be a life-saver.

How much do prescriptions cost in England?

In England, prescription charges are currently capped at £8.80 per item, but if you have a long-term health condition which requires regular prescribed medication, you can use an NHS Prescription prepayment certificate (PPC) to save yourself money in the long run.

You can currently get a three-month PPC for £29.10, which will save you money if you need more than three prescribed items in three months, and 12-month PPC for £104, which will save you money if you need more than 12 prescribed items a year.

Signing up for a prepayment scheme will allow you to obtain all the prescriptions you need for around £2 – £2.50 a week, and you don’t need to pay up front. There are a number of payment options available, including direct debit instalments throughout the year.

Buy your PPC online here.

You can also keep prescription costs down by making sure your GP doesn’t do two separate prescriptions for one item (e.g. if you need 150 mg of a medicine, but it’s only sold in 100mg doses, you shouldn’t have to pay twice).

Similarly, if possible ask your GP to proscribe your several months’ of medicine in one go if you know you’ll be on the medication for a while and won’t need a check up in the mean time. This will mean you get more medicine for one prescription cost.

The NHS Low Income Scheme

The NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS) can be a life saver for students, as it’s based on your income, not your parents – as long as you don’t live with them, that is.

You can apply for the scheme if your savings, investments or property don’t exceed £16,000 – and depending on your circumstances you can apply for full help with costs (HC2 certificate) or partial help (HC3 certificate).

If you’re on a very low (or non-existent) income, then you’ll likely qualify for one of the certificates, meaning you’ll be able to get free or discounted prescriptions, dental costs, eye care costs, healthcare travel costs and wigs/fabric support.

To apply you have to fill out a HC1 form – it’s quite lengthy but will be worth it if you’re eligible for the certificates. Bear in mind that any money from student loans (that’s Maintenance Loans, not your Tuition Fee Loans which go directly to your university), your parents and any part-time work all count, so be honest here!

The application also takes into account housing costs, so again be honest with this.

Your certificate will last anything between six months and five years, depending on your circumstances. You’ll be informed at the time of application how long yours will last for, so take note and remember to renew it, as you’re not likely to be reminded!

Check whether you’re eligible for the NHS Low Income Scheme »

Apply for the NHS Low Income Scheme »

Do students get free dental care?

Unfortunately most dental care isn’t free, even under the NHS, and there’s no automatic exemption for students.

You will be eligible for free dental treatment if one of the following applies to you:

If none of these apply to you, don’t panic – you might still be able to get free dental treatment by applying to the NHS Low Income Support Scheme.

You’ll have to register with a local dentist practice, just like you would with a GP, but make sure you know whether you’re signing up as a private or NHS patient.

Some dental practices might have long waiting lists for NHS patients, or simply won’t be accepting NHS patients at all. If you register as a private patient instead, you’ll have to pay significantly more.

How to find an NHS dentist

Finding an NHS dentist is pretty straight foward – the NHS have a search tool which enables you to locate NHS dentists in your local area.

Look for dentists which are accepting adult NHS patients. Those which are accepting NHS patients by referral only will only accept those who have a letter of referral from their GP.

It’s also worth noting that it’s often easier to register with a dentist after you’ve registered with a local GP.

How much does dental treatment cost?

NHS dental charges are based on courses of treatment, which fall into one of four categories.

Even if you have to visit your dentist more than once for a course of treatment, you’ll still only pay one set fee (as outlined below).

Who is entitled to a free eye test?

Just like prescriptions and dental treatment, the chances are you’ll have to pay for eye tests, as well as glasses and contact lenses.

Some people are eligible for a free NHS eye test and optical vouchers to go towards the cost of glasses and contact lenses. This includes those who are:

You’ll also be eligible for a free or discounted eye test and optical vouchers if you have an HC2 or HC3 certificate through the NHS Low Income Scheme.

If you do go for a private eye test and glasses/contact lenses, prices can vary hugely across the high street – so make sure you shop around to get the best deal.

Vaccinations for university students

Professionals strongly advise making sure all your vaccinations are up to date before you head off to university, but if you forget, it should be your first priority once you’ve registered with a GP.

It’s recommended that you’re vaccinated against diphtheria, polio, tetanus and measles, mumps and rubella (MMR). Most UK nationals will have been vaccinated against these diseases as a child as part of the UK national immunisation programme, but it’s worth checking with your GP.

Men ACWY vaccination

This vaccination protects against meningitis and septicaemia, and is recommended particularly for teenagers and freshers. It replaces the Men C vaccine that was discontinued in July 2016.

The Men ACWY is a relatively new vaccine, and although it is offered to teenagers in Year 9 as part of the broader national vaccination programme, it’s definitely worth checking whether or not you’ve had it.

It’s suggested that new university students get it as you’ll be mixing closely with lots of new people (some of whom may be unknowingly carrying the bacteria at the back of their nose and throat) and you’ll remain eligible up until your 25th birthday. Up until then it’s completely free and definitely worth getting – it could save your life.

Flu jab

Although freshers’ flu is incredibly common among students, you won’t be eligible for a free flu jab unless you have asthma or a serious long-term health condition.

If you are eligible, it’s worth getting it to keep yourself fit and healthy while you study – but you will have to get a new vaccination every year.

How to get free contraception

You can get contraception, in whatever form, for free from contraception clinics and sexual health clinics, as well as some GPs.

This includes condoms, as well as prescribed contraception methods like the pill.

FPA, the sexual health charity, has more information and advice on where you can get free contraception.

And while we’re on the subject, you can get STI tests for free, too. You can take them at home or at a sexual health clinic/GP and you should be getting yourself tested every six months.

Do international students get free healthcare in the UK?

Whether you get free access to the NHS when studying in the UK as an international student depends on whether you’re an EU or non-EU student:

EU students (including all EEA and Swiss nationals)

If you’re a student from the EU (including all countries in the European Economic Area and Switzerland), you’ll be able to access all NHS services for free.

You just need to get yourself a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from your home country before you depart. This qualifies as adequate health insurance while you’re in the UK as a student.

Non-EU students (with a Tier 4 visa)

If you’re a student from outside the EU, you’ll likely be well aware of the Tier 4 visa that you must apply for to be eligible to study in the UK.

As part of your Tier 4 application you’ll be required to pay a £150 health surcharge (on top of the £348 visa charge) which will allow you to access NHS services for free while you study in the UK. If you’re studying in the UK for less than six months, the health surcharge is reduced to £75.

In essence, once you’ve paid the surcharge and your visa has been accepted, you’ll be able to access the NHS just like any UK resident at no extra cost (apart from those detailed above).

You will not be able to buy private health insurance instead of paying the health surcharge, but you can buy health insurance in addition to it if you wish to. This will cover things like loss of fees (if you have to drop out of your course for health reasons), travel costs when returning home and private medical treatment.

We reckon that just about covers it all. What do you think? Have you had any problems getting healthcare at university? Let us know.